Troubleshooting various Windows problems
The Windows related problems listed below are problems that I have previously encountered and the solution found at that time. I believe the information to be complete and correct, but if you find any errors or omissions then please let me know (email@example.com).
These troubleshooting notes have been divided up according to which version of windows they refer to - or the version of Windows I was using when I first encountered the problem:
- Windows (all versions)
- Windows 2012 Server
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows 2003 Server
- Windows XP
- Windows 2000
- Windows NT4
- Internet Explorer: An error has occurred in the script on this page
- Internet Explorer: A Runtime Error has occurred
- Internet Explorer: Internet Explorer Script Error
- LCD monitor display fuzzy and not sharp
- Microsoft Outlook: Cannot open the item for this reminder
- Microsoft Outlook: Cannot start - Cannot open the Outlook window
- Outlook Express: An error occurred while the spelling was being checked
- Windows Explorer: Slow to delete files
- Windows isn't behaving properly (miscellaneous)
- The PROGRAM.EXE is linked to the missing export OLEAUT32.DLL:VarNot
- File C:\Windows\system32\RAMgmtUI.exe cannot be located
- Windows couldn't be activated - Error code 0x8007007B the filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect
- Windows couldn't be activated - Error code 0x8007232B DNS name does not exist
See also Troubleshooting Windows 8.
- Hyper-V Manager: An error occurred while attempting to connect to server ...
- Remote Desktop cannot verify the identify of the remote computer because ...
See also Troubleshooting Windows 7.
See also Troubleshooting Windows 2003 and subsequent troubleshooting notes.
- Error 778: It was not possible to verify the identity of the server
- Error 812: The connection was prevented because of a policy configuration on your RAS/VPN server
- Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not avaiable. Do you want to proceed?
See also Troubleshooting Windows XP.
- Vmimb.exe POP3 connector at 100% CPU and no incoming emails
- Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
See also Troubleshooting Windows 2000.
- Backup failing - Error: Could not access portions of direction System State\COM+ Class Registration Database
- regsvr32 - LoadLibrary failed - The specified module could not be found
See also Troubleshooting Windows NT.
- error 733: could not agree on PPP control protocols
- error 781: The encryption attempt failed because no valid certificate was found
- error 800: Unable to establish the VPN connection
- Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable
These notes may also apply to Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
- Access Denied (AT command)
- ActiveX component can't create object
- Disk Thrashing
- DllRegisterServer in COM failed. Return code was: 0xNNNNNNNN
- DllRegisterServer in COM failed. Return code was: 0x0000007e
- DllRegisterServer in COM failed. Return code was: 0x8002801c
- DllRegisterServer in COM failed. Return code was: 0x80070005
- English numerals appearing in Arabic text instead of Arabic numerals
- General Network Connectivity Problems (e.g. cannot connect to remote computer)
- Microsoft Exchange: Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
- Microsoft Exchange: Vmimb.exe POP3 connector at 100% CPU and no incoming emails
- NTBackup gives error ‘Insufficient disk space ...’
- NT Backup: No tape drive detected
- NT Backup: Tape device reported an error on a request to rewind the tape
- NT Backup: Tape Drive Error Detected
- Remove (uninstall) program fails
- Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server \\XXXX could not be contacted.
- Run-time error '-2147024882 (8007000e)'
- The device \Device\ScsiPort0 did not respond within the timeout period
- The domain controller for this domain cannot be located
- The ordinal NNNN could not be located in the dynamic link library MFC42.dll
- The ordinal NNNN could not be located in the dynamic link library MFC42u.dll
- The procedure entry point XXXX could not be located in the dynamic link library LLLL.dll
- This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer
- Unwanted application runs at logon
- Wrong keyboard layout at logon
- You do not have access to set License options
About the author: Brian Cryer is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.