Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources.
The print subsystem is unavailable.
When trying to add a printer (via "Add Printer" in Control
Panel > Printers, or Start > Settings > Printers) a dialog box appears containing
the following error:
Printer operation cannot continue due to lack
of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable.
This error indicates a problem with the Print Spooler service
- typically it is not running.
- Check that the Print Spooler service is running:
- Start > Settings > Control Panel
- Administrative Tools > Services
- Find the service "Print Spooler".
- Check that it is set to "Automatic" start-up.
- If it is not running then start it (right click
it and select "Start")
- The following link has also been recommended:
These notes have been tested with Windows 2000.
About the author: Brian Cryer
is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.