Brian Cryer's Glossary of IT Terms with Links
- 1. Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. A
HDD diagnostic technology that monitors device performance
and attempts to predict device failure. SMART software on the
HDD monitors the internal performance of motors,
media, heads and electronics of the drive. SMART software on the host monitors
the overall reliability status of the drive.
For more information see:
- 2. Objectives are said to be SMART if they are:
- Time Based
- 3. Variations on the above; objectives are said to be SMART if they are:
- "Realistic" or "Relevant"
- "Timed", "Time Based" or "Time-limited"