Brian Cryer's Glossary of IT Terms with Links
- A protocol is an agreed set of rules for the communication of information
between two or more devices.
Whilst the list of protocols is probably near endless, the following are examples of common protocols:
- HTTP - Hypertext Transport Protocol, used for the transfer of web pages.
- NNTP - Network News Transport Protocol, used for newsgroups.
- SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, used for sending emails.
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol, used for transferring files.
For more information see:
- http://everything.explained.at/Protocol_(computing)/ - Protocol explained.