- A UseNet discussion forum relating to a
specific subject or topic. Newsgroups are public discussion forums. In
order to participate in a newsgroup forum, you will need a newsgroup
reader (of which many are freely available). Each Newsgroup (of which
there are many thousands) consist of electronic messages, called posts. Each
post can either be to create a new discussion thread or may be in
response to an existing discussion thread.
Messages posted to a newsgroup are known as "articles", as each is assigned a unique article-ID (which most newsgroup readers do not make visible). In discussions however messages are more commonly referred to as "posts".
For more information see:
- www.newsreaders.info - Provides articles on Newsgroups and newsgroup participation.
- http://newsgroups.archived.at/ - Managed newsgroup archive, providing an archive of a limited number of newsgroups.
- www.newzbot.com - For finding a public newsgroup server carrying a particular newsgroup.
- www.giganews.com - GigaNews service, one of the best newsgroup providers.