Brian Cryer's Glossary of IT Terms with Links
- Computer Numerical Control.
A CNC machine is a milling machines which uses a computer to follow a series of instructions to drive a machine tool. Milling machines are used for drilling and carving of solid materials. CNC machines therefore allow the process of milling parts to be automated, allowing large numbers of parts to be mass produced.
cf CNC router bit.
For more information see:
- www.technologystudent.com/cam/cnc1.htm - CNC Work, an introduction for students.
- http://everything.explained.at/Milling_machine/ - Milling machines explained.
- www.technologystudent.com/cam/cnccut1.html - An introduction to CNC coordinates for students.
- http://everything.explained.at/CNC_router_projects/ - CNC projects, covering coordinate systems and 3D motion control for CNC machiens.