Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows Software Development Problems
The problems listed below cover a variety of software related problems. Everything on these pages represents a problem that I have previously encountered and the solution at that time. I believe the information to be complete and correct, but if you find any errors or omissions then please let me know (email@example.com).
Microsoft .NET/VB.NET/C# related:
- ERROR  [Microsoft] [SQL Native Client] [SQL Server] The data types varchar(max) and text are incompatible in the equal to operator
- Errror: Concurrency violation: the UpdateCommand affected 0 of the expected 1 records
- Error: Configuration Error ... This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS
- ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft] [ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query
- ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft] [ODBC Excel Driver] Operating must use an updateable query
- ERROR [HY000] [ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error
- error CS0305: Using the generic type 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<T>' requires 1 type arguments
- error CS1752: Interop type 'Some.Type' cannot be embedded
- Error: 'LabelLayer' not accessible in this context because it is private
- Error: Namespace or type 'mail' for the Imports 'System.Web.mail' cannot be found
- Error: Property, indexer, or event 'XYZ' is not supported by the language; try directly calling accessor method ...
- Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debugged.
- Error: Server Application Unavailable
- Error: Sys. WebForms. PageRequestManagerServerErrorException
- Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:SomeControl'
- How to decide which method to use to store session information
- How to mix C# and VB.Net in the same project
- How to identify the application pool for a worker process
- It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process
- Name NNNN is not declared (VB.Net)
- Namespace or type specified in the Imports ... doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found
- ProtocolException: The remote server returned an unexpected response: (400) Bad Request
- ProtocolException: There was an error deserializing the object of type Some.Type. The maximum array length quota (16384) has been exceeded while reading XML data
- Server Error in '/' Application
- Server error in '/' Application ... A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected
- Server Error in '/folder' Application Exception ...
- Server Error in '/folder' ... A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected
- Server Error in '/folder' ... Dynamic SQL generation for the UpdateCommand is not supported ...
- Server Error in '/folder' ... ERROR [HTY00] ... Timeout Expired
- Server Error in '/folder' Application ... Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
- Server Error in '/folder' ... The type TTTT is not marked as serializable
- Server Too Busy
- Troubleshooting: Server Error in /www Application ... Maximum request length exceeded
- The connection has been disabled
- The name 'NNNN' does not exist in the current context (C#)
- The type or namespace name '<type-name>' could not be found (C#) - or which namespace do I need for a <type-name>?
- The type or namespace name 'some-name' does not exist in the namespace 'some-namespace' (C#)
- Thread Aborted exception
- Type <component-name> is not defined
- Type <type-name> is not defined (VB.Net) - or which namespace do I need for a <type-name>?
- Visual Studio 2005: Build failed, 0 Errors
- Visual Studio 2005: One or more errors, Build Succeeded
Microsoft Visual C++ related:
- [RFX_Text causes] Access Violation in program.exe (MSVCRT.DLL) or DAMAGE: after Normal block
- error C2833: 'operator DEBUG_NEW' is not a recognized operator or type
- error C2055: expected formal parameter list, not a type list (tip contributed by Sujith Joseph)
- error C2258: illegal pure syntax, must be '= 0' (tip contributed by Sujith Joseph)
- error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLInstallerErrorW@20
- error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLConfigDataSourceW@16
- ERROR: ioerror - when printing to a postscript printer
- LLLL.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0xNNNNNNNN
- msvcrt.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16
- msvcrtd.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16
- uafxcwd.lib(thrdcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __endthreadex
Visual Basic related:
- Client Cursor: 39 - One of the modified columns has no source table defined
- Compiler error: User-defined type not defined (IUnknown)
Crystal Reports related:
See also Troubleshooting Windows problems.
About the author: Brian Cryer is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.