.nzb file extension
- Newzbin file. A newzbin file is an XML style file, which contains
references to newsgroup posts when can then be retrieved separately (or
using a newzbin client) from Usenet/NNTP servers.
Newzbin files are used mainly in two complementary ways:
1. As a means of returning search results. This allows a search service to return a list of matching posts (via a .nzb file) without needing to return the content of those posts. This is desirable especially if the posts are binary ones and thus have the potential to be very large. The newzbin client will then use the references in the .nzb file to download the relevant posts separately form a usenet server. This thus saves on time and bandwidth. It also allows catalogues to be constructed off-line by volunteers without the search service needing to hold copies of the relevant newsgroup posts.
2. Binary newsgroups carry binary rather than text content, and posting binary content is a way of using usenet servers to share binary content (such as videos and photos). A .nzb file here is used to denote the different parts of a single binary (because of size limitations with newsgroup posts a binary file may be split across several posts), allowing the newzbin client to take a .nzb file, download the relevant newsgroup posts and reconstruct the original binary.
For more information see:
- http://everything.explained.at/NZB - NZB files explained.
- http://docs.newzbin.com/index.php/Newzbin:NZB_Specs - NZB file format specification.
- www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-nzb-file.htm - What is an NZB file?
- www.binaries4all.com/nzb/ - Lists places to obtain .nzb files and software which will work with .nzb files.
Can you add to this? Do you know of any applications not already listed which will work with .nzb files, view .nzb files or open .nzb files? Are you able to contribute any additional reference information or file format information about .nzb files or have you spotted any errors or omissions? If so please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org - Thank you.