SQL Server Troubleshooting
Microsoft provide very good documentation with SQL Server. It is therefore strongly recommended that the provided documentation is always consulted first in the event of an error arising.
The notes on these pages refer to problems that I have previously encountered and the solutions at that time.
- Agent: Never Started ... and won't start
- Distribution Agent: Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'TTTT' with unique index 'IIII'
- Distribution Agent: Only members of the sysadmin or db_owner roles can perform this operation
- Distribution Agent: The process could not connect to Subscriber 'XXXX'
- Distribution Agent: Timeout expired
- Error 14256: Cannot start job 'XXXX' (ID NNNN) because it does not have any job server(s) defined
- Error 21776: [SQL-DMO] The name 'XXXX' was not found in the Users collection
- Error 8198: Miscellaneous Agent: Job Failed. Unable to determine if owner ... has server access
- HResult 0x2 ... Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection ...
- Merge Agent: Only members of the sysadmin or db_owner roles can perform this operation
- Merge Agent: Only members of the sysadmin role may set server options
- Merge Agent: The process could not connect to Subscriber 'XXXX'
- Merge Agent: The remote server is not defined as a subscription server
- Merge Agent: The subscription to publication 'XXXX' is invalid
- How to repair a database
- Rename failed for Database
- Restore terminating: The server supports version NNN ...
- Snapshot Agent: The process could not create file \\<UNC-file>
- SQL Server Agent will not start
- SQLServer Enterprise Manager could not configure 'server' as the Distributor for 'server'
- SQLServer fails to start
- SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server
About the author: Brian Cryer is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.