SEO Tip 5: Keyword Placement
The golden rule is that if you want the page to appear on the search engine results pages for a particular term then the page must include that term.
- If you want to target multiple terms then consider whether these would be better addressed by having a separate page for each.
- Include each of those terms at least 2 or 3 times on the page – but not more than 10. If any one word is used a large number of times on a page then it risks being treated as keyword spamming by search engines. 10 times is given as a guide, but there are no hard and fast rules.
- Identify what similar terms exist (or what other words mean the same as the targeted term(s)) and see if these can be worked into the page as well.
- Remember: Do not compromise the content or readability of the page when targeting keywords.
- Add a meta-description tag that provides a summary of the purpose of the page and includes the targeted keywords. This should be no longer than 200 characters tops.
- Add a meta-keyword tag, this should include your targeted keywords as a minimum. Many search engines ignore these, but they are still used by some and even those search engines which claim to ignore them may still give them some weight.