- Security Cleared or Security Clearance. Abbreviation often used in job
advertisements to indicate that an applicant must hold a valid security
clearance or that a suitable security clearance will be sort.
Security Clearance normally implies that that work is directly or indirectly for a national government.
Whilst there are different levels to security clearance, the abbreviation SC on its own does not give any indication of the level of clearance required. Other abbreviations which may appear with SC to indicate the level of clearance include:
- Developed Vetting.
- Extended Positive Vetting.
- Negatively Vetted. A passive vetting procedure which includes checking of credit and security records. NV need not include any interviews.
- Positively Vetted. An active vetting procedure which includes confirmation that the person is who they claim to be, criminal records, affiliations and background.
- Positive Vetting (Secret)
- Positive Vetting (Top Secret).
- Top Secret.
Different countries may use different abbreviations, and abbreviations in use tend to change occasionally.