.pal file extension
- 1. Colour palette file. A generic file extension used to denote a colour palette. A colour palette defines the colour depth (i.e. number of bits per pixel) and the red-greed-blue colour definition for each colour in the palette.
- 2. Paint Shop Pro colour palette file. Contains the colour palette table
saved from a 16 or 256 colour image. It can be loaded for another image
and this provides a means of copying colour palettes from one image to
These files are text editable. The format of the file is as follows:
- The first line contains the header "JASC-PAL" (without the quotes).
- The second line contains the palette file version. For example "0100" (without the quotes)
- The third line contains the number of colours, either 16 or 256.
- Subsequent lines contain the Red, Green and Blue components of each palette entry, with a space between each of the Red, Green and Blue numbers. These numbers are in decimal, so each attribute should be in the range 0 to 255.
- 3. PiXCL 6 palette file. Whilst PiXCL 6 programming language is oriented
towards image acquisition and manipulation, it includes commands for
creating and editing palette files.
For more information see:
- www.pixcl.com - Home page for PiXCL (Pixel-based eXtensible Command Langauge).
Contributed by Alan Burkhart
Can you add to this? Do you know of any applications not already listed which will work with .pal files, view .pal files or open .pal files? Are you able to contribute any additional reference information or file format information about .pal files or have you spotted any errors or omissions? If so please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com - Thank you.