4DOS Product Description
4DOS was a product provided by jpsoft.com, who
no longer support it.
After August 24, 2004, 4DOS will be a free, unsupported
product. (Technical support will be still available for existing customers after
If you've ever been frustrated by the limitations of standard "DOS commands",
then 4DOS is the one command line tool you truly need. By
adding a wide array of features that DOS omitted, 4DOS makes
the command line easy to use, giving you more power and flexibility than you
ever imagined. 4DOS replaces the DOS command processor,
COMMAND.COM - the brains behind your "C:\>" prompt.
4DOS adds features such as shorthand "aliases" for commonly
used commands, a pop-up directory history window, and the ability to copy, move,
delete, or list multiple files with a single command. Simple command-line
editing, history, and recall eliminates extra keystrokes, and the FFIND command
can quickly locate files or text within a file anywhere on your system.
Batch file users will be amazed at the power and speed 4DOS
adds to the DOS batch processor with sophisticated new batch commands. Enhanced
batch files can fix annoying quirks, leaving a smooth, elegant environment
designed to meet your needs and preferences.
Command Line Features
- Modify and re-execute previous commands with a powerful command line
- Copy, delete, and rename groups of files and directories, not just
- Change the drive and directory in a single command. Extended Directory
Searches allow you to change to a directory anywhere on your system by
entering only part of its name.
- Quickly locate files or text within files anywhere on your system.
- Built-in file viewer includes scrolling, search, and print capabilities.
- Select or exclude files by date, time, size, and/or extended wildcards
for extraordinary flexibility in file management.
- Redefine commands, create new commands for your regular tasks, even
assign frequently used commands to a single keystroke.
- Offers complete configuration adjustment in all products, either through
interactive dialogs or on the command line.
- File descriptions up to 511 characters long provide information that
can't fit in a filename.
Batch File Features
- Improved batch language includes subroutines, IF/THEN/ELSE logic,
SWITCH, exception handling, and more than 60 internal commands.
- High-speed batch files run 2-10 times faster than under COMMAND.COM.
- Full-loop control, error handling, and single step operation for
debugging. The new batch file debugger can execute each line step by step,
process or trace into additional batch files, and display variables,
aliases, and expanded commands at each step.
- Box and line drawing capabilities and colorized text displays simplify
creation of menus and screens.
- More than 60 built-in variables include system configuration, device
status, network drive detection, and free memory and disk space.
- More than 90 built-in variable functions assist with manipulation and
display of strings, characters, numbers, date and time, file names, etc.
Hard disk recommended. Minimum 512K installed RAM; uses 3k or less while
applications are running. Supports expanded (EMS) and extended (XMS) memory.
Any version of MS Windows 95, 98, or ME, and the associated MS-DOS versions
(7.0 and above). Also runs under MS-DOS 3.0 or above, DR-DOS 4.0 or above, in
DOS sessions under MS Windows 3.x, MS Windows for Workgroups, and IBM OS/2 Warp.