.application file extension
- ClickOnce application manifest file.
A .application file is an XML style file which contains an application manifest. This is used when installing an application built on the .NET framework, as the manifest contains references to everything required to install the application.
If ClickOnce has been installed on the local computer then the application can be installed by simply clicking on the .application manifest file. Otherwise there should be a
setup.exeinstaller application with the .application file (in the same folder) which can instead to used to install the application.
For more information see:
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384248.aspx - Information on Creating ClickOnce Applications, article from Microsoft.
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t71a733d.aspx - ClickOnce security and deployment.
- http://everything.explained.at/ClickOnce - ClickOnce explained.
- http://guysmithferrier.com/downloads/clickonce.pdf - An overview of ClickOnce deployment
Can you add to this? Do you know of any applications not already listed which will work with .application files, view .application files or open .application files? Are you able to contribute any additional reference information or file format information about .application files or have you spotted any errors or omissions? If so please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com - Thank you.