Action 'Update' could not be performed on object 'Default Offline Address List'
In Exchange 2010 when trying to manually update the offline address book the following error is generated:
Action 'Update' could not be performed on object 'Default Offline address List'
Default Offline Address list (x) Failed
Failed to generate the content of the offline address book '\Default offline Address List'. Two possible reasons for the failure are that the System Attendant Service is not running or you do not have permission to perform this operation. Error message : 'Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding'.
Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding
Steps to reproduce:
- In Exchange Management Console, expand Organization Configuration and select "Mailbox"
- On the "Offline Address Book" tab right click "Default Offline Address List" and select "Update".
- On the warning dialog which appears saying that an update can take several minutes click [Yes] to continue.
- The error dialog is then displayed.
The specific problem "Error 0x6d9 - There are no more endpoints available" seems to be related to public folder replication.
- Check that the "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant" service is
This service should be set to start Automatically. If it has stopped then start it and then try again to update the address book.
If you find that this service fails to start after a reboot then:
- Change its start up type from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)"
- Change its "Recovery" options to "Restart the Service".
These notes have been tested with Exchange Server 2010.
About the author: Brian Cryer is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.