TFS Troubleshooting Notes
TF206018: The items could not be added to source control because ...
When trying to add a project to TFS from Visual Studio the following error is generated:
TF206018: The items could not be added to source control because either no team projects have been set up, or because you do not have permission to access any of the team projects in the current collection.
Possible Causes and Remedies:
Try each of these in turn:
- You do not have permission to access any of the team
To check that you have the necessary permissions:
- On the server with TFS installed, open the "Team Foundation Server Administration Console"
- In the tree view navigate down to "Team Project Collections".
- Hightlight the team project connection that you are connected to.
- On the "General" tab select "Group Membership"
- You can only add groups here, not users, but ensure that
the your user account (or the user account with the error)
is included in one of the groups listed.
Personally I tend to create a "Developers" group and ensure that each developer's user account is listed there.
- No team projects have been set up.
Possibly the simpliest way to see if a team project has been set up is to use the "Source Control Explorer". To open "Source Control Explorer" from Visual Studio simply go to View → Other Windows → Source Control Explorer.
To create a new team project:
- In Visual Studio click on the "Team Explorer" tab.
- At the top it should say "Home " followed by the server name you are currently connected to. Click on that and a pop-up menu should appear.
- On that pop-up menu, select "Projects and My Teams → New Team Project ..."
- Follow the "New Team Project" wizard through and it will create the new team project.
Then try again.
These notes are believed to be correct for Visual Studio 2012 connecting to Team Foundation Server 2012, and may apply to other versions as well.
About the author: Brian Cryer is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.