Database Instance Failure
The database instance is no longer running.
- The DBA has taken the instance down.
- The server has been shut down.
- The server has rebooted and the instance has not been set to auto-start.
- Check the NT System Event Log to see if the server has been rebooted.
- Some other hardware related problem.
Check the Windows System Event Log
- Other sources of information to check for additional clues as to
the probable cause are:
Note: From Oracle 8.1.5 onwards, these files are instead located in the directory
- Check that the normal Oracle services are running.
- If running OPS then also check the ‘
errlog’ and ‘
pgms.log’ files, both of which are located in the ‘
The remedy will depend on the reason for the instance failure.
This page represents one page of many pages of notes I made whilst working with Oracle 7 through to 10i. I now no longer work with Oracle databases, but hope that these notes will continue to be of benefit to others.
About the author: Brian Cryer is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.