Cry Exchange How To...
How to reschedule when Exchange Mailbox Maintenance is performed
Exchange performs a number of tasks as part of its internal maintenance regime. This includes (online) defragmentation, compaction and other tasks.
The default schedule for this is every night from 1am to 5am.
If this schedule conflicts when you are performing backups or other activity then you may wish to reschedule it for some other time.
To reschedule Exchange maintenance:
- Run Exchange System Manager.
- Expand Administrative Groups and navigate down to the Server.
- Expand the storage group. (There will only be one "First Storage Group" unless you have renamed or added more.)
- Right click on the "Mailbox Store" and select "Properties"
- Select the "Database" tab.
- On this tab, under the heading "Maintenance interval" you can select when you want the maintenance to be scheduled for.
- Exchange also performs maintenance on the Public Folder Store. To adjust the schedule for the Public Folder Store maintenance follow the same procedure as above, but open the properties for the "Public Folder Store" instead of the "Mailbox Store".
These notes have been tested with Exchange Server 2003.
About the author: Brian Cryer is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.