Cry Exchange How To...
How to force the address book to update
When a new email account is created in Exchange it will not
normally appear in the address book of others until the following day. This
procedure shows how to force newly created accounts to be visible in
the address book:
- Force an address list update on the Exchange server
- Pull down the address list in Outlook.
Force an address list update on the Exchange server
- On the server running Exchange, open Exchange System Manager.
- Expand "Recipients".
- Select "Offline Address Lists"
In the default configuration there will only be one offline
address list shown in the right hand pane - "Default Offline
Address List". If other address lists have been created then
they will also be listed.
- Right click the address list to update (typically "Default
Offline Address List") and select "Rebuild"
A message will be shown warning that this may take a long time
depending on the number of recipients in the domain. Allow it to
rebuild the offline address list.
Pull down the address list in Outlook
This needs to be done on each pc running outlook which requires
the latest address book:
- Start up Outlook.
- Tools → Send/Receive → Download Address Book...
- On the "Offline Address Book" dialog click [OK]
These notes have been tested with Exchange Server
2003 and Outlook 2003.
About the author: Brian Cryer
is a dedicated software developer and webmaster. For his day job he develops websites and desktop applications as well as providing IT services. He moonlights as a technical author and consultant.